Master the Basics to Begin Boating
From Ericka Watson, former About.com Guide
- Buying a Boat
- Know Your Boat - The Art of Small Boat Seamanship
- Boating Safety Rules and Regulations
- Boating Safety Tips
Buying a Boat
There are many facets to buying a boat. Consider all aspects of boat ownership before you sign the sale agreement and learn how to use boat reviews and boat shows to find the perfect boat.
- Before Buying a Boat
- Determine a Boat's Real Price
- What is the Right Size Boat For You?
- How Will You Use the Boat?
- When is the Best Time to Buy a Boat
- Buying a Boat at a Boat Show vs. a Dealer
- Boat Show Tips
- Best Boat Ratings
Know Your Boat - The Art of Small Boat Seamanship
Nobody is born an expert boater, but by knowing small boat seamanship - the art of boat handling, and marlinspike seamanship - the art of line handling, you can become the master of your boat. Together, they are necessary skills for every boater to know before they begin boating.
Boating Safety Rules and Regulations
All boaters should know and comply with federal and state boating safety regulations and the Coast Guard Navigation Rules. Use the resources here to learn about state and federal boating safety requirements and the authority of the Coast Guard to board and inspect your boat.
- Federal Boating Safety Laws
- Coast Guard Law Enforcement Authority
- Registering and Numbering Your Boat
- Coast Guard Safety Regulations by Boat Size
Boating Safety Tips
Staying safe on the water is no accident. When you begin boating, you will need to become educated about boating safety best practices, safety equipment and survival at sea.
- PFDs and Life Jackets
- How to Properly Fit a Life Jacket
- File a Float Plan
- Boating Safety Best Practices
- Take a Boating Safety Class
- Drinking While Boating
- Water Survival Techniques
- Cold Weather Boating
- Optional Boating Safety Equipment
- Boating Safety Definitions
Skillfully navigating the waterways is not only rewarding, but essential to boating safety. Learn the rules of the sea and how to navigate the waterways using nautical charts and marine electronics.
- How to Read a Nautical Chart
- Plot a Navigation Course
- Navigation Rules - Operating at a Safe Speed at Night
- Navigation Rules - Maintaing a Proper Lookout
Marine weather plays an integral role in boating safety. Know how to get a marine weather forecast, the different advisories, watches and warnings and what to do avoid severe weather.
- Before Boating, Know Your Marine Weather Forecast
- Marine Weather Watches, Advisories and Warnings
- The Beaufort Scale
Use these print resources to enhance your boating knowledge and skill.